Nobody Said It Was Gonna Be Easy....

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tomorrow is Never a Promise....

I've decided to deviate from the suggested blog topic as I've got some other things on my mind...

My step-grandfather passed away last night. He and my grandma have been married for 22 years. They have a very cute love story....

When my grandma was in high school, she and Norm dated. They even attended the senior prom together. After graduation, Norm joined the Army and left for the Korean War. While they tried to do the long distance thing, it didn't work out and my grandma met another Korean War vet named Ron who had completed his tour. She and Ron fell in love and had five kids, one of them being my dad!

In July 1990, my grandfather Ron passed away from heart problems. I was just ten at the time, but I still have treasured memories of him! A few months later, my grandma was out shopping and she ran into an old friend who just happened to be Norms sister. It turned out Norm was divorced; his sister thought it would be good if the two of them reconnected. They did and things were immediately like old times. On Valentines Day of 1991, they were married. My grandma even found a prom picture of the two of them and hung it in their house!

A few years ago, it was discovered that Norm had a heart condition. He was told he only had six months left to live. Years went by, then December of 2011, he was told he only had a few weeks left to live. Months went by, then in September he was told he only had days left....On December 5th, Norm passed in his sleep.

Norm waited thirty years to reconnect with the love of his life; and he wasn't going to let anyone tell him when it was time to let her go...

No comments:

Post a Comment