Nobody Said It Was Gonna Be Easy....

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Heads or Tails...

What's the wisest decision I made all year? That's tough. Often the outcome of a decision is not fully known for quite some time... The ripple effect can go on for days...weeks....months...even years. It's quite possible that the full extent is never fully perceived....

Because of this, I've got to go with a decision that provided immediate rewards. My oldest daughter is in first grade. At the onset of the school year, her teacher requested parents to volunteer to help out in the classroom. Prior to this year, I had always had a full time job that kept me from being involved in this area. I contemplated whether to get involved as I already had a lot going on in my personal life and wasn't sure if I'd be able to find time to get involved. I wasn't even sure if mentally this would be something I could accomplish due to some inner anxieties I'm working on. But in the end, the decision was actually quite simple; this was an opportunity to be more involved in my daughters education.

At first, I'll admit, my anxiety got the best of me. I went in that classroom and was intimidated by it all: teacher, kids, responsibility, expectations.... But I persevered. Now I go in on a regular basis and have developed a relationship with my daughters teacher that I highly doubt most parents ever obtain. I've been able to see my daughter with her peers and appreciate just how independent she has become.

More than that though, I've benefitted mentally, which is the ultimate goal for most of what I do nowadays. I've proven to myself that I can stand up to my anxieties and insecurities and tackle them one step at a time. I've also developed a good feeling about my ability to have an impact on others lives, no matter how small.

To many people, given the time and opportunity this decision probably seems like a no brainer. But for me and the daily struggles I face, it's a huge step in my journey of self discovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment